Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Point of Return

This is it. I'm still in Barcelona, technically, but a few minutes ago, I legally exited the country of Spain. It's a phenomenon I've gotten used to. No man's land. A new country on the other side. Except this time, this country is the one that issued me my passport.

In a few minutes time, if all goes well, I will board my flight to John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York City, New York State, of the United States of America.

I told a friend last night, I feel like I'm leaving something unfinished. A bit like looking over a hotel room, bag in hand, just before you check out and turn in the room key, and having the distinct feeling that you're forgetting something. Nine times out of ten, you haven't forgotten anything. I hope this is one of those times.

Today marks 19 months since I left my country, and soon, I hope, the day I return.

I will see you soon.

2 comments:

  1. I just flew through JFK yesterday, and when clearing customs, had to fill out a list of countries I had visited since leaving the US. I had a hard time fitting three in the blank space they left. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS!!
    -Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Sonja's comment. We will all want an answer to what you did with that blank space! Did they give you extra pages?

    Your grandfather's comment when I said you were in New York was to ask if you left during the Bush administration. I thought that was very funny. The answer being yes, you left during the Bush administration and arriving home during the Obama administration. Welcome home. Lv, Anonymom

    ReplyDelete